Erik Jr. is up here this week while on his Fall break from school. The security people at Wal-Mart are probably wondering why Lib traded in her middle-aged female escort for a 12 year old boy.
3rd Day in a row she had grocery items she forgot in the trip to the store the day before. They were "Must Haves" I guess.
She asks me if Erik can go to the store with her. I am glad -- glad that she is getting out; glad that Erik is here to be a stand-in chaperone; glad that they are getting an opportunity for one-on-one time.
We see such odd lapses in memory, comprehension, and just general focus. That's hard.....well, it's hard for us I guess - she really seems to not notice or care, so --- is that good?
She locked herself & Erik out of the house yesterday morning. (She has done it before - at least this time she had company)
We had her come down for dinner yesterday also. When she showed up - with her walker - Phil gave her some ribbing about how she really should have come down here with just her cane. She said, "Oh, I sure wish I had it with me...I think I will go home and get it."
When I whispered to Phil, "That's kind of silly at this point - dinner is ready and she is already HERE." He whispered back, "Let it go - it's EXERCISE."
She made her way back out to the car, with the walker, drove back home, went in - with the walker, came out several minutes later - walking with the walker with her cane hung through the bars of the walker.
She got back in the car, after wrestling the walker AND the cane into the back seat, drove back down to our house, got out of the car, got her walker out, put her cane back through the bars of the walker, and came back in the house, using the walker with it's new cane as an accessory.
We stood there like dolts with our mouths hanging open and just really did not know what to say.
The good news: She has mentioned twice to me in the last few days that she is going to "Be gone ALL winter" and she really emphasizes the word "all".
I LOVE that she is on board with this. It is just not necessary for her to be sitting cooped up in that house day after day, with the furnace blowing full blast while she wears 3 sweaters. It is also not necessary for her to navigate snow and ice - walker, cane, whatever, however. She really seems to do better when she is away from home in a situation that requires her to be engaged in something different than her normal routine. We saw this so much on her last visit to Tennessee. You could hear the difference in her awareness and her attitude talking to her on the phone. Linda noticed such a big difference between the way she was the first day or two she was there and then how she was when it was close to the end of her trip.
I bet the air in Texas is just as refreshing as the air in Tennessee.
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment